Water Experiments

I have resumed my studies on the water in Sul after the storm rolled in on Fahets. An earlier visit to the Age revealed that the bad weather had not let up and as such my plans to explore the area outside of the basin will have to be put on hold for now.

Instead I returned to Sul, where the work has been progressing nicely and I believe we are close to shifting the Age to the next phase.
I had been wanting to continue my experiments with the water after an idea I had regarding the formula used in the Er’cana pellets, fortunately I had retained my notes regarding my experiments with the pellet recipes and picked one that I feel may benefit the experiment.
As it stands I have a few hours until I have to return to Er’cana and harvest the pellets.

I have also been musing what effect the Sul water would have on the water from D’ni, with both containing algae species with different traits, would it be possible for both to co-exist in the same body of water? Would the D’ni lake benefit from a mixture?

I have decided that tomorrow I shall make a trip to Ae’gura and take some samples back to test.

Fahets Wildlife Growth

It was quite a shock Linking into Fahets once again, had grown accustom to the silence that greeted me, or the near silence. Sometimes a breeze would rustle the grass, or the slight creaking of the Norapods.

Today it was different, in contrast it was almost a cacophony of sound. In our absence the wildlife in Fahets has continued to grow, expand and flourish, the air was buzzing with activity from insects and the sounds of birds.

My desire to catalog the wildlife has me thinking about climbing out of the basin and exploring the surrounding area.

Not sure how long this will continue for, as thick clouds have gathered in the sky above and I can hear the rumble of thunder, sounds like it’s going to be a bad one. Hopefully the pump will continue working nicely until we install the new, less botched together, version.

Fahets

Need to remove the book of commentary for now so it doesn’t get ruined. Perhaps it is also time to look into protecting the Link in point and books with a structure or something to shield from the rain.

Sul Imager

The things Sophie can do with D’ni technology has always amazed me, in this she is much liked David was, given she worked with David closely it isn’t a surprise that she knows her stuff.

The imager is an experiment in a hybrid format of examples we have found in D’ni and the imager style we saw at The Cleft. The goal of the imager is to hopefully allow for 2D and 3D rendering. Calibration of the imager is routed through a program that runs of my laptop, fine tuning take place through the calibration scale on the casing of the imager itself. Soph has said the internal structure is pretty much complete, the casing still need some fine tuning.
Today we fired it up and ran a model based on settings taken of the water in the Age. Hopefully it will allow me to enter calculations and see how the model would react and compare it to the actual water to see if I can predict how it would react under certain conditions.

Sul Imager

We had a few glitches getting it running, after some tinkering we managed to fire it up about 30 minutes later and it performed superbly. I took a short video of it working which I will place up on Beneath later.

Sul Crest

Lab Completed

It has been a busy few days, the work on the lab has been completed more or less. We installed a ladder for the pool of water and Sophie has been working with a smaller version of the imager she was going to put in Cass which is currently sat on my desk next to my laptop.

My studies into the wildlife have fallen by the wayside lately as we have been working in the lab. Eventually I plan to get topside again and further my studies, fortunately the long night cycle of Sul means I have ample time with which to work.

But for now I sleep, the hour is late and I am so terribly tired.

Sul Development

I spent the night on Sul, which allowed for some observations on the climate and wildlife. I have noticed that the temperature drops significantly but not to the point where is causes discomfort, indeed with the warmth coming from the various fissures it actually provides a nice cool feeling that is rather refreshing.

I have also noticed that some of the wildlife has a bio-luminescence to them which kicks in during the night. Various fungi give of wonderful blue hues that look especially pleasant next to the strange reeds that give off a purple light, I also noticed some odd looking berries that warrant a further look.

I plan to catalogue them when work on the lab has been completed.

Given that Steve had projects elsewhere that required his attention, Soph decided to stop by and lend a hand with her group. We managed to close up the fissure in the cavern floor after concerns about people perhaps stumbling into it, however given the relationship the fissure had with the water we installed a seal which would still allow for levels of heat to be maintained.
Tomorrow work will continue on the floor, we had been discussing some protective tiles that would allow for us to strengthen the floor in case of any problems.

Most of the day was spent on the walls and ceiling of the cave, removing obstructions and adding some decorative touches (that will also function for the lab when it is complete). I drew a quick plan up this morning for the placement of the workbench and a doorway to cover the passage that leads off.

It has been a productive day, I’m pleased. If work continues at this rate the lab should be completed in a few days.

Night will fall within the next hour, I plan on observing the changes in the wildlife as the cycle from day to night commences.

Page 4 of 10« First...23456...10...Last »