Translation question

Discussions for life in the Cavern and the restoration of D'ni and its Ages.
Diranda

Translation question

Post by Diranda »

I've been reading a number of journals I've found and I keep coming across a nickname I'm not sure I've translated correctly. It's the nickname of the girl who wrote the journals, and it seems to be based on the D'ni word for zero, 'run'? I've been interpreting it as 'Runa', but I don't think that's right. It seems more based on the word 'zeero' which I'm not sure about.
I asked a couple of folks, since 'zeero' seems odd. I'm looking for someone with a bit of a better grasp on D'ni than I have.
-----
The Great Zero Journals
Diranda Valerian KI#11629473
Kelsei A. Taylor

Re: Translation question

Post by Kelsei A. Taylor »

Can't say I've heard of 'run' for the word Zero. Rezeero and zeero, yes- though I think Rezeero is short for Regahro Zeero, "Great Zero" but... Honestly I'm not entirely surprised I've missed something. D'ni isn't my strong suit.

I'd sooner suspect "Rezeera" or "Reza" over "Runa" as a nickname, though.
Kelsei A.T. KI# 10581205
---
Exotic Language Translator/Decoder.
Diranda

Post by Diranda »

It's really strange. The handwriting gets a bit faded at times, which may be why I can't seem to make it out sometimes.
There's a logbook I found, written by Janak, the girl's father, that shows the nickname occasionally also, which is where I realized my translation wasn't right.
-----
The Great Zero Journals
Diranda Valerian KI#11629473
Kelsei A. Taylor

Post by Kelsei A. Taylor »

Alas, I'm rather familiar with faded and/or sabotaged documents from around the Fall era. If things weren't stored properly, water, animal, and other ravages of time damage can wreck a document's legibility horribly. Not counting deliberate acts of sabotage, when they rarely happen.
Kelsei A.T. KI# 10581205
---
Exotic Language Translator/Decoder.