Regarding documents discovered in the Jeweler's House

Discussions for life in the Cavern and the restoration of D'ni and its Ages.
Diranda

Regarding documents discovered in the Jeweler's House

Post by Diranda »

I know I was posting a bit before we moved (which we're still in the process of, the old house in St. Clair needed some renovations so we're splitting time between our Neighborhood and the cottage) about documents I found when I was looking through the little house I found in connection to the Great Zero research I was doing. (Moving has scattered my brain so much!)

I was so convinced they were little bits of history, but after talking to Molly Kincade, she is pretty convinced they're something else.

Are there any other D'ni translators who might be able to help me with the translations? Molly's been busy (stuff having to do with Tenny and Logan, etc.) and hasn't been able to really get a good look at the texts other than a cursory glance.

I'll tell you what she thinks though: She thinks they're notes from a novel.

Err.... well, shows me I really need to learn D'ni better...
-----
The Great Zero Journals
Diranda Valerian KI#11629473
Kelsei A. Taylor

Re: Regarding documents discovered in the Jeweler's House

Post by Kelsei A. Taylor »

It's always hard to tell where the lines are between Historical Document, Pure Fiction, and Historical Based Fiction. (If there's one thing working on the Rei'schu creation myth stuff has shown me that no world seems immune to revisionism when it comes to telling fascinating and intriguing stories!)

Frankly, it's surprising we haven't found more 'novel' type stories before. I've been wondering if we'd stumble upon something eventually, or if we had already and just mislabeled it as history instead of fiction. I can suggest you talk with a few of our more D'ni dedicated translators, they might be able to help with this.
Kelsei A.T. KI# 10581205
---
Exotic Language Translator/Decoder.
Diranda

Post by Diranda »

I haven't mentioned it before now because, honestly, I'm kind of embarrassed... :oops:

I was so silly excited about it! But you're right, Kels, finding actual fiction is amazing in its' own way! Molly certainly didn't think it was anything to be embarrassed about, to be honest.

I'm definitely very curious about the other artifacts I found with it and hope maybe to learn more about the author, whoever it is.
-----
The Great Zero Journals
Kelsei A. Taylor

Definitely nothing to be embarrassed about. We've all had our moments of misunderstanding when it comes to things discovered down here. Best thing about further research and discovery is a growing sense of understanding about the things once happened, fictional or real. :mrgreen:
Kelsei A.T. KI# 10581205
---
Diranda

Post by Diranda »

Molly sent me an email this morning. She said she's going to focus a bit more on the documents, since she's taking a break with work and the 'thing with Logan has died down' (not sure what that means though. Probably need to ask Tenny). She did have some rough notes on her thoughts about the author. She says that from what we know about D'ni, the GZ stuff definitely doesn't match up, but she has some questions about the character Tayeth. There's a journal that has this name on it that seems to be personal.

I might grab this stuff and go sit and look at it in the GoMe Pub later.
-----
The Great Zero Journals
Traveler263

Post by Traveler263 »

If you need an advance reviewer I'm always down for some fiction! Some D'ni written fic' might be very interesting to read indeed.
Calum Traveler - KI# 34810
-Traveler's Cavern Log-
Diranda

Post by Diranda »

Mentioned on my journal online but I got an email from Molly Saturday night.

Not sure how I feel about it, but the long and short of it is this:

Okay, so when I was back in the Cavern after we moved, I was able to do some research, mostly of stuff I'd found in the Jeweler's House when I was digging through it before.

Just before we moved on the Surface, I'd wanted to gather a few more things from the Jeweler's House, so I brought some boxes of miscellaneous papers and books and so forth that I was planning to go through later. Then I got distracted with Surface stuff (the St. Clair cottage has been kind of a headache. We got there and the water pipes had burst from the cold, so that needed fixed, etc.) and I didn't get a chance to really get into that stuff.
Those boxes got moved around a lot.
In August, Corey and I were really busy showing our parents around the Ages and I forgot about them. Well, after we all got back, I found the boxes, so I started going through them.

I started working on what I found and found a lot of really odd stuff, like I said earlier. I packed a bunch of it up and sent it to Molly.

She said she'd go through them when she could. That was about the beginning of September.

She sent me some stuff back, of course, what I mentioned before.

Well, Saturday, she sent the email and today, I got the box of things back.

I really don't know what to make of it, but what she said (which she checked with other D'ni Language people she knows from way back and at Argon) is that this material is mostly notes on a biographical novel.

It's true in that one character, Tayeth, is based on a real person from D'ni at the time of the Fall. I guess he was a performer of some note and he asked the writer of the material to help him write a novel based on his life. The thing was, they wanted it to be seen as fiction (probably because he didn't want to annoy someone in his life) so they were developing the fictional background for the novel at the time. This is why there were so many documents and notebooks with the 'character names' I found in them, things that were written by the author in the voice of her characters.

I also have the author's name as well as the real name of the man the stories were based on.

What we don't know is what happened to them, as the notes and material stops just before the time that the Fall happened. We have her personal journal, which Molly says may indicate that they could have escaped, but there's obviously no evidence on that.

I hope she did. It looks like she and this performer were engaged.

So that's the whole thing. If you are interested, I can give you their names, but I don't know if it's that significant. She wasn't anyone important and hadn't written anything that was published. I don't ever really recall seeing the names of any entertainment personalities in D'ni histories around that time, so it's possible he wasn't that well known.
-----
The Great Zero Journals
Traveler263

Post by Traveler263 »

So... in summary, D'ni funnyman hires writer to make a Fictional Biography. Kiss kiss, fall in love, is the novel even really anything but a fancy love-love project between them at the time at the time of the fall?

Hopefully they survived the Fall. They sound like they were my kind of people. :mrgreen:
Calum Traveler - KI# 34810
-Traveler's Cavern Log-
Kelsei A. Taylor

Ah, the familiar, murky blending of fiction and reality. I'd begun to wonder.
Traveler263 wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 4:04 am So... in summary, D'ni funnyman hires writer to make a Fictional Biography. Kiss kiss, fall in love, is the novel even really anything but a fancy love-love project between them at the time at the time of the fall?

Hopefully they survived the Fall. They sound like they were my kind of people. :mrgreen:
Calum, this isn't like one of those rom-com movies! But yes... I think you're probably onto something there.

And I agree. Hopefully they survived.
Kelsei A.T. KI# 10581205
---
Diranda

Post by Diranda »

I'm sorry but that is too funny, Cal!

Honestly, I feel a bit better about the thing now. I was kind of depressed for a bit there. I mean, I spent a year on thinking it might be more real history on the Zero.

Finding a writer though, that's pretty interesting. Not all of them were 'Capital W' writers, were they?
-----
The Great Zero Journals