Outside Help

Discussions for life in the Cavern and the restoration of D'ni and its Ages.
Carl Palmner

Outside Help

Post by Carl Palmner »

At the Restorers' behest, I've hired two outside folks to help us with our saboteur problem.

Harry Williams is a private eye. He's insanely smart but a little...well, quirky. You'll see when you meet him.

Robert Murry is an archaeologist, and the closest thing to a real-life "Indiana Jones" one could get.

Both of these guys are going to help us track down the saboteurs and deal with the problem--which is great, because it will free me up to do more grunt work for you Restorer taskmasters ;)

They should both be in the cavern sometime next week.
Kelsei A. Taylor

Re: Outside Help

Post by Kelsei A. Taylor »

Fingers crossed!
Kelsei A.T. KI# 10581205
---
Exotic Language Translator/Decoder.
Cpt.Jericho

Post by Cpt.Jericho »

If you're sure outside help will bring results. Call me a sourpuss but I have my doubts that they can catch our saboteurs faster than a nicely concealed bear-trap.
Dni_seeker 5

Post by Dni_seeker 5 »

Cpt.Jericho wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:36 pm If you're sure outside help will bring results. Call me a sourpuss but I have my doubts that they can catch our saboteurs faster than a nicely concealed bear-trap.
What? Are you serious?

I'm pretty sure a detective could catch them faster than a nicely concealed bear-trap, even if he is a bit odd. Have you ever read Sherlock Holmes? (The first one of you to even think about making a Dr. Watson joke out of what I just said is going to get a Look from me.) I'm pretty sure we could use a detective.
Cpt.Jericho

Post by Cpt.Jericho »

If that detective was an insider who knows about the peculiarities of D'ni culture, I might agree. But we are talking about an outsider; how much of the D'ni magic would seem impossible to a Sherlock Holmes and therefore would be ignored?
Personally, I prefer the hard-boiled detective type. They don't give a damn when it comes to methods - as long as they get results. And nicely placed bear-traps gets results when dealing with amateurs. And the saboteurs are amateurs if they had to get back to the scene of crime to finish the job.
Dni_seeker 5

Post by Dni_seeker 5 »

Look, Jericho, Carl told me a few things about these two and they're definitely qualified to handle this.
Carl Palmner wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:16 pm
Robert Murry is an archaeologist, and the closest thing to a real-life "Indiana Jones" one could get.
I saw a Chiso desk with the name Robert Murry. I want an explanation, please.
Carl Palmner

Post by Carl Palmner »

DS5 - Got a chance to speak with you in the cavern about the desk. Harry said he needed an entire private office, so they've given him that. Robert said all he required was a desk in the Restorer's area, and they happened to have an extra one, so that's why you see his desk there.

Jericho--I've thought of the bear trap, believe me. The problem is that anything like that is more likely to hurt some innocent explorer than it is to hurt our saboteurs. The Restorers want to try to solve this nonviolently, and I agree with them. A private detective already familiar with D'ni would be great, but there don't seem to be any. Right now the "detective" on duty has essentially been me, and I have no experience, nor do I get paid. I told the Restorers they needed professionals at this point; it's not a job I can be counted on to do well. This seemed like the best option.

I've met Robert before, and I know he's dependable. I met Harry while we were looking for people, and I have confidence in him. They're both a bit quirky, but they've got the skills we need.