Cavern Lake "Nessie"

Discussions for life in the Cavern and the restoration of D'ni and its Ages.
Lehnah

Cavern Lake "Nessie"

Post by Lehnah »

Recently I borrowed a mate's drone in order to take some photos of areas of Ae'gura and the Cavern rarely seen by Explorers simply because they are so hard to get to. During my most recent exploration I was flying the drone over the lake when I saw a shadow in the water. It appeared to be a share- or whale-like creature but I could not manage a better look at it.

Due to not knowing what this creature could be I've taken to calling it "Nessie" after Earth's own Scotland-based mystery creature. Have any other Explorers encountered Nessie before?

Dni_seeker 5

Re: Cavern Lake "Nessie"

Post by Dni_seeker 5 »

There's a giant creature in the lake? Okay, do you know whether the Maintainer Suit has scuba gear? Because if it does, that's one thing off my list. The other thing is nine or ten people willing to dive into the lake. WHAT THE HECK IS THAT THING?
Traveler263

Post by Traveler263 »

I believe it's a Tredfish. A type of very large tuna-like fish. You'll find they grow that big on the Surface, even, given enough time.
Calum Traveler - KI# 34810
-Traveler's Cavern Log-
Lehnah

Post by Lehnah »

Traveler263 wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:39 am I believe it's a Tredfish. A type of very large tuna-like fish. You'll find they grow that big on the Surface, even, given enough time.
Hm, it does seem likely it could be a Red fish, possibly the Northern Red Snapper or the Queen Snapper.

I must admit I'm somewhat disappointed that this mystery could have been solved so easily. Still, it might be worth diving down to investigate further. Do the Maintainer suits have scuba functionalities at all? If not, I may have to look to hire some.
Tyion

Post by Tyion »

I'd be surprised if they didn't have water functionality as they were designed for environmental testing.
Dni_seeker 5

Post by Dni_seeker 5 »

Or maybe it's Yeesha's younger brother.
Kelsei A. Taylor

Post by Kelsei A. Taylor »

You'd probably want to seal up the necks on the maintainer suits first before diving under the lake water, but they'd be manageable for scuba diving I'd imagine. ,
Kelsei A.T. KI# 10581205
---
Exotic Language Translator/Decoder.
Traveler263

Post by Traveler263 »

Lehnah wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:22 am
Traveler263 wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:39 am I believe it's a Tredfish. A type of very large tuna-like fish. You'll find they grow that big on the Surface, even, given enough time.
Hm, it does seem likely it could be a Red fish, possibly the Northern Red Snapper or the Queen Snapper.

I must admit I'm somewhat disappointed that this mystery could have been solved so easily. Still, it might be worth diving down to investigate further. Do the Maintainer suits have scuba functionalities at all? If not, I may have to look to hire some.
Yeah, for a while it was thought it might've been a shark or a small whale due to the size, but... From what I remember of previous explorations and examinations by the D'ni Zoological Society and others, whatever those beasties are, they're certainly not whales or sharks. Just very big fish.

I think the suits could probably manage a deep-sea dive, yes.
-Traveler's Cavern Log-
Lehnah

Post by Lehnah »

Traveler263 wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:50 pm

Yeah, for a while it was thought it might've been a shark or a small whale due to the size, but... From what I remember of previous explorations and examinations by the D'ni Zoological Society and others, whatever those beasties are, they're certainly not whales or sharks. Just very big fish.

So people have already looked into it? Would it still be worth investigating?
Traveler263

Post by Traveler263 »

Lehnah wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:02 am
Traveler263 wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:50 pm

So people have already looked into it? Would it still be worth investigating?
Yes, I think it's one of those long-looked-into matters. Off the top of my head I know Ainia did some research for the D'ni Zoological Society on the matter, and I'm sure there's others who did other work as well. As for whether it'd be worth investigating still, that's really up to you, I think, on whether you want to go off of other's work, or do your own investigations. :)
-Traveler's Cavern Log-