Cavern Lake "Nessie"

Discussions for life in the Cavern and the restoration of D'ni and its Ages.
Lehnah

Re: Cavern Lake "Nessie"

Post by Lehnah »

Hm, maybe I'll look into it. Perhaps I'll discover something new...
Traveler263

Post by Traveler263 »

Good luck, whatever route you decide on pursuing :)
Calum Traveler - KI# 34810
-Traveler's Cavern Log-
Gondar

Post by Gondar »

The lakefish! Believe it or not, you can barely just see them from the hood balcony if they swim up close. It makes sense when you stop and think about it... there must be some sort of ecology in the lake beyond algae. What do the algae eat after all, if it's just nutrient pellets then how is it still about after the hundred-something years post-Fall? Something else is going on there, there's likely a whole underwater ecosystem there.

Just be careful of the bahro boats! I haven't seen them since Yeesha left but that doesn't mean the random cavern stragglers aren't still poling about on the surface! ;)
--One of these days I'll have a proper thing to put here that sounds all professional and impressive. ...not today. KI#: 7425022--
Lehnah

Post by Lehnah »

Bahro boats? I missed those! Are there info/images of them anywhere?
Traveler263

Post by Traveler263 »

i've never seen one personally, and I think people only call them bahro boats because nobody knows who's piloting them. But considering I've gone out on the lake many times with boats dragged down from the surface, it's not implausible to think folks have done the same many times over the years.
Calum Traveler - KI# 34810
-Traveler's Cavern Log-
Keith Lord
Site Admin

Post by Keith Lord »

I think there was a lot of boats on the lake in 2003 - 04, haven't seen many since. Just the occasional expedition into other parts of the cavern.

There is quite a lot of wildlife in the lake aside from the algae. Plenty of fish, and some large whale like creatures.
Lehnah

Post by Lehnah »

I posted an update on my blog but forgot to include it here. I've quoted it below.
After many weeks of experimentation, it seems that the standard Maintainer suite will indeed allow me to explore the waters of the Cavern. Obviously, I’ll not be able to stay submerged indefinitely, but it should be long enough to more closely explore regions of interest.

I spent some time reading up on the various techniques used by researches looking for the “real” Loch Ness Monster. I think it would be a good idea to incorporate some of these techniques, in particular the sonar scans, although it may take some time to get the technology down to the Cavern and set up. I have contacted Robert H. Rines, the man behind several explorations of Loch Ness, for advice on this.

In the meantime, I think I’ll take some time to simply wander the Cavern and its Ages again. Several new areas have opened up since I started this little venture and I’ve not yet had the chance to see them. Hopefully I will be able to do so over the coming weeks.