In the Lime Light... (Cavern Lake Discussion Thread)

Discussions for life in the Cavern and the restoration of D'ni and its Ages.
Kelsei A. Taylor

Re: In the Lime Light... (Cavern Lake Discussion Thread)

Post by Kelsei A. Taylor »

Yeah, I should be good for a couple of days. I'll see you Monday!
Kelsei A.T. KI# 10581205
---
Exotic Language Translator/Decoder.
Traveler263

Post by Traveler263 »

Sorry, slept in. Will meet you at the Cathedral in a bit.
Calum Traveler - KI# 34810
-Traveler's Cavern Log-
Kelsei A. Taylor

After a rousing day squinting at cavern wall architecture, trying to spot any signs of lake water contamination, while Calum drove us around on the lake, I can honestly say we didn't spot much of anything. We're currently parked in the overflow facility harbor, and I'm taking a peek around while Calum rests.

It's a very spartan facility, same kind of architectural materials and design elements as the Er'cana City Silo, which makes sense. The only deviation to that style seems to be what'd basically be the Employee Break Room, near the back of everything.

Very fascinating place. I'd love to see it full restored if we can get to that point.
Kelsei A.T. KI# 10581205
---
Traveler263

Post by Traveler263 »

I've done some sampling of the lake water around the overflow station here- the spike in metal content's definitely coming from here, somewhere. I'm going to suggest approving the Phase 1 mapping stage and moving onto Phase 2. We'll need to see where this water contamination is coming from.
-Traveler's Cavern Log-
Jules Lavisham

Post by Jules Lavisham »

This is all kinds of concerning. At least we can rule out some kind of accident from restoration work we weren't aware of, but if there's something in the overflow station causing the contamination I would be VERY wary of getting any machinery in that area up and running again until the source is located. I know our immediate instincts as explorers is to immediately start turning things on and seeing what happens, but the last thing we want is to dislodge something and destroy over a decade's worth of algae cultivation.

All obvious stuff you're very well aware of, Cal. Just be safe out there.
Prof. Jules Lavisham, Lecturer in Classical Civilisations
KI# 09687370 - Twitter
Traveler263

Post by Traveler263 »

Thanks, Jules. I have an update that I forgot to share yesterday due to being busy on the Surface:

A work crew managed to back trace the source of the contamination through one of the river channels up towards one of the mixers- they blocked off the water access to the lake from that front as a precaution, and I'm happy to report that a second update from today confirms that seems to have prevented further metal contamination from reaching the rest of the lake for the time being.

I'm going to have to see if I can get a crew together to back trace through those connections to whatever the source is, if it's not in the mixer basin.
-Traveler's Cavern Log-
Traveler263

Post by Traveler263 »

It's been an exhausting day at the Overflow Station, but the good news is we tracked down what seems to be the main source of the metal content. It's probably been the source of the off and on metal content spikes I'd observed in tests going back a few months now. Which, if that means anything, probably means it didn't have too detrimental affect on the lake, but I'll be revising my calculations for how long I expect until the algae harmonizes with itself in the mean time.

Bad news is, the source area is inside the remnants of a collapsed Pellet Silo Facility, and I've got no idea how we'd go about cleaning it up without either extensive heavy machinery, or some means of rapidly linking vast quantities of metal and stone out of the water. So my immediate idea for now is to quarantine it off from the lake more directly. But that's a temporary solution at best for the time being.

We'll be performing inspections of the other facility areas connected to this and hopefully nothing else will be contaminating the lake from this particular Overflow Station, but it's making me nervous to the point I want to try and find every other facility like this so as to ensure everything's still functioning properly. Projects for other days and other people, though.

Restoring this area definitely took a priority bump in terms of getting things functional, though. I have a feeling there's probably more damage to the underlying mechanics that have prevented it from resuming an automated pace as I'm assuming this place and other facilities like it should have.

Power hasn't been easily restored yet, so it's possible it's a generator connection issue? It'll require further investigation, once we've ensured that no more contaminants are leaking into the lake from this place.
-Traveler's Cavern Log-
Kelsei A. Taylor

Has there been any success on getting power restored yet?
Kelsei A.T. KI# 10581205
---
Traveler263

Post by Traveler263 »

From what I've heard so far today? No success that doesn't last longer than a few minutes to a half-hour. Might be a faulty generator.
-Traveler's Cavern Log-
Kelsei A. Taylor

That's a little disheartening to hear, honestly. Hopefully something can be done about that.
Kelsei A.T. KI# 10581205
---