In the Lime Light... (Cavern Lake Discussion Thread)

Discussions for life in the Cavern and the restoration of D'ni and its Ages.
Traveler263

Re: In the Lime Light... (Cavern Lake Discussion Thread)

Post by Traveler263 »

In retrospect, I suspect the window may be adding a bit of orange glare to that view there, Kels. But I just spent an inordinate amount of time there this afternoon doing some preventative maintenance surveying on the lighting system in there, so I may also be seeing things.

In other news, I hear Hazado has the Lake Meter somewhat functioning again. Looks like we might be doing some preliminary test runs in private before returning it to the Ae'gura docks.
Calum Traveler - KI# 34810
-Traveler's Cavern Log-
DecafToaster

Post by DecafToaster »

Traveler263 wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:51 pm In other news, I hear Hazado has the Lake Meter somewhat functioning again. Looks like we might be doing some preliminary test runs in private before returning it to the Ae'gura docks.
Ah, perfect! I was going to ask where that had been shipped off to. It will be so nice to see some positive results from the lake after the past decade of work we've put into it. I'm thankful to still be around and see it all come together.
KI: 6470539
Have you harvested your pellets today?
Traveler263

Post by Traveler263 »

DecafToaster wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 8:17 pm
Ah, perfect! I was going to ask where that had been shipped off to. It will be so nice to see some positive results from the lake after the past decade of work we've put into it. I'm thankful to still be around and see it all come together.
As am I. It's great to be here and see things working towards a, ahhem, brighter future, let alone be a part of making it happen. :33
-Traveler's Cavern Log-
Traveler263

Post by Traveler263 »

11/8/21 Lake Samples: Ferry Terminal Docks, Dalek Location.

Lake light level at 2. O2 and CO2 levels consistent with previous level 2 samples. Slight spike in metal content. We probably need to dredge the harbor for boat debris at some point.
-Traveler's Cavern Log-
Traveler263

Post by Traveler263 »

Sorry, I've had some bad news surface wise and I'm going to abdicate monitoring of the Lake Levels to other folks for the time being until the Dalek gets installed.
-Traveler's Cavern Log-
Lehnah

Post by Lehnah »

I was depositing some pellets the other day and it occurred to me that the D'ni must have had a better system for depositing pellets to the lake than manually linking them between Er'cana and the silo five at a time. Given the size of the lake I'd imagine five would be nowhere near enough, and you'd have to certainly deposit them in various places rather than just one. I guess the DRC never uncovered any other system, but there must be one somewhere. I wonder if we'll ever find it?
Traveler263

Post by Traveler263 »

I've experimented a bit with dropping pellets elsewhere in the lake (I briefly set up an automated system at the Cathedral Island shorefront) but it didn't seem to affect things much on a global scale for the lake- it did affect things locally, but some of the currents seemed to keep the effects from spreading out much.

From some of the initial phase 1 surveying of the facility Wayne discovered, it seems like the gear mechanism that chewed up his Relto Book is tied to a propeller system designed to generate artificial currents, similar to what must be used in Ahnonay, to spread out the food supply from the drop points.

I personally suspect that the facility Wayne found is probably connected to one such drop point, but whether its one we're actively using or not is hard to determine given the Silo's locked upper level door.

I'll likely go to take a visit to the place this week if my surface schedule allows it. I've been a bit more distracted lately than not, given, well... Surface matters.
-Traveler's Cavern Log-
Traveler263

Post by Traveler263 »

Got a concerning report on Thursday about possible lake contamination via a sudden spike of metal content which could affect the algae badly if it continues at this level for long.

Verified the spike in metal content with a manual sample today. Planning to make a trip on Monday out to the Overflow Facility and elsewhere around it to check and see if anything over there may be a related cause. If not, I'll have to expand my search out and around the Cavern wider to try and see where this metal content might be coming from to cause a spike.
-Traveler's Cavern Log-
Kelsei A. Taylor

Post by Kelsei A. Taylor »

That is concerning. I may not be much of a lake-health expert, but if you need an extra set of eyes I can certainly look for giant chunks of metal or visibly malfunctioning equipment.
Kelsei A.T. KI# 10581205
---
Exotic Language Translator/Decoder.
Traveler263

Post by Traveler263 »

Yeah, the extra set of eyes could be handy, Kels. I'll text you the meetup point tomorrow and we can head out Monday if you've got the time for it. I saw things didn't go as planned today? Hope things clear up by then.
-Traveler's Cavern Log-