In the Lime Light... (Cavern Lake Discussion Thread)

Discussions for life in the Cavern and the restoration of D'ni and its Ages.
Traveler263

In the Lime Light... (Cavern Lake Discussion Thread)

Post by Traveler263 »

Shorah B'shemtee! Calum here.

Looks like we're finally up and running, even if things aren't fully polished just yet.

It feels fitting then, that one of our first threads is about the Lake Light project!

I'm not sure where to begin, really. 2007? 2010? 2014? 2020? What's a good place to start looking back retrospectively? I guess I'll start with where I have the most concurrent data relevant to my own endeavors.

When everything kicked back up August of Last Year, I started resuming my monitoring of the Lake Light levels. I wasn't keeping official notes or anything, but I was observing the occasional flare of brightness out on the lake. When I took a trip out on the lake back in October, I ended up discovering the Cathedral Island due to a bright cluster of Algae around the shore.

During my restoration work on the Cathedral Island, I observed the light levels from this algae patch, and many others across the lake, flaring brighter, or weakening dramatically depending on the day of week, or even time of day. It was rather brilliant, if concerning. That really reignited my research into things.

Inspired by the work of Mary Sue on her own Er'cana/Pellet Research, I set up a work station on the island where I brought many batches of Harvested Pellets for experimentation. I'd tried some local experiments of setting up feeders on a timer, as well as trying to grind up pellets into a powder for a more 'expedient' attempt at feeding the lake. None of these seemed to affect things locally, however, let alone have a wider impact on the lake itself.

I was periodically sampling the lake water from the island, as well as off the harbor railing facing the Arch at Ferry Terminal, in Ae'gura.

On 9/13/21, I finally got a sample of lake water that showed a significant change in behavior. At that point, I began taking notes. (I'll be posting these in the next post for anyone interested.)

The KI networking issues we had around that point took up a lot of my time after that point, so I wasn't able to really dive into things deeply. I've collaborated notes with a few others, Hazaado, Briggs, to name a few. And we've been seeing similar results.

It seems one of our own explorers, Wayne Todd, decided to take up the mantle of investigating on his own, however. He took a boat out on the lake, and told his friends he was going 'camping' -- without stating where and I'll reiterate for safety concerns for anyone else attempting to replicate Wayne's trip to PLEASE inform folks of where you're going and please take a Networked (Internally Trackable) KI instead of their normal External Release KI. We all assumed he was on the surface.

Wayne, on 10/18/21, found what seems to be one of the security overflow stations that Laxman or one of the DRC folks mentioned back in '07. These security facilities seem to be designed to prevent massive spikes in pellet food content hitting the lake all at once, preventing, well, damage to the lake by over feeding the Algae. We're still investigating the facility and are surveying it for potential restoration. (I don't think this is even officially Phase 1 yet? I haven't gotten any map diagrams back yet.) But, yeah, this really seems to be the case.

Anyways, Wayne, deciding to poke around the place himself, decided to crawl into a gear mechanism and give it a kick. This managed to dislodge his Relto book, mangle it up inside some gears, and dump the thing into the Lake itself. He thought it was gone...

Alas, it made its way to Ae'gura, where Briggs fished it up from the Ferry Terminal docks on 10/19/21.

He notified me, and I put out the word in case someone had lost their Relto. We still didn't know whose book it was, or if anyone was missing.

I decided it was worth the effort to run some search teams out on the lake, and so we went out.

10/20/21's day of searching didn't bring up anything much except for an old D'ni boat crashed along some rocks, crewed by skeletons. It looks like a ferry boat that crashed during the Fall, poor folks.

The following nights, after more searching-- Briggs observed the now dried out Relto Book, and pointed out the damage had seemed to match if the book had gone through a paper jam in a copier. After some discussion on Discord with Gondar and Inunah, we deduced that the damage likely was caused by an Industrial machine of some sort, and we began focusing out searching onto the Industrial Areas of the Cavern that had shore-front access.

A bit pointlessly, though, as Wayne contacted us, finally.

Hazado!

You may not know this, but I have been out and about on the lake exploring one of the overflow stations you mentioned before. What a sight to behold up close! Of course, this equipment has not been running for quite some time, but I think with a little elbow grease and a handful of volunteers we could restore functionality. Climbing around inside is a bit treacherous, though. I was applying a little "“boot force”" to a jammed section of gearing, lost my balance and snagged my Relto. Darn thing snapped right off my belt and churned its way through those gears before popping out the other side and falling into the lake! Alas, there was no way for me to recover it. I will have to look into a possible replacement when I return to the city…....

The samples I have collected out here are encouraging and reflect what you and Calum have been seeing in the city. The oxygen and carbon dioxide levels are consistent with what you've found there; if we can get some of this equipment up and running, I believe it will go a long way towards restoring the lake!

My supplies are starting to run low, so I will have to head back soon. This has been a delightful escape, I must say! I will let you know when you can expect me back in the city.

-W
The following Monday, 10/25/21, Wayne returned to Ae'gura, where we had a talk about things. (Chatlog Here, may paste it down below into another post if folks want it.)

So, yeah, that about covers it, I think?

Oh, right, almost forgot. I've installed a temporary meter at the lake, disguised so folks don't mess with it, to take periodic samples since then. It's not doing it's job great, and the results are about as good as my own hand sampling was. Honestly, I'm hoping we can get the Lake Dalek put back in to provide a more public facing meter of the Lake's health. Hazado, I'll message you later about that.

In the mean time, I'll get to posting the rest of my notes on the lake samples I've taken manually. Others can post their results here if they want.

_Calum Traveler
Calum Traveler - KI# 34810
-Traveler's Cavern Log-
Traveler263

Re: In the Lime Light... (Cavern Lake Discussion Thread)

Post by Traveler263 »

Here are my notes on the lake samples I've taken.
METRICS:
Lake Brightness Values: 0-5. (0 being dimmest, uncycling value, 1 being cycling, slightly brighter. 5 being max brightness imaginable, uberly bright, 'this is wrong' kinda bright, but continuing cycling.) Values increase roughly 25% per level of light.
OBJECTS:
Lake Water Sample Probes: Small water capsule probes for use in collecting lake water.
Glow-Stone: a mineral type of rock-gem-stone that reflects light it receives back at an increased rate. Observed 'in use' or 'origin' sample instances in Tiam (A formerly D'ni owned Age, A potential Origin Location) & Chezahcen Cathedral (Cavern Location, used in floor-to-ceiling Mosaics for gleaming effects). Potential link to Firemarbles uncertain and unconfirmed at this stage. (Research into Dahtamnay may be required for such to be confirmed or denied.)
---
SAMPLES:
Ferry Terminal Arch Facing Railing Sample 1: collected 9/13/21 by Calum Traveler:
Initially Contaminated by Glow-Stone fragment- Removal of rock made light sample dim from Level 5 brightness to Level 2 Brightness.
Tests performed indicated that No disolved mineral from Glow-Stone was present in water sample. Average O2 and CO2 levels to all other non cycling water samples.
Sample continues to cycle as of 10/2/21. Cycling has begun fading as of 10/6/21, sample returned to lake.
_Calum
---
Ferry Terminal Arch Facing Railing Sample 2: collected 9/30/21 by Calum Traveler:
Uncontaminated sample. Cycles at same rate as Sample 1, Lake brightness value of 3.
Higher CO2 levels, average O2,
Sample continues to cycle as of 10/2/21.
_Calum
---
Ferry Terminal Arch Facing Railing Sample 3: collected 10/1/21 by Calum Traveler:
Unconaminated sample. Cycles at same rate as previous samples. Lake brightness value of 1.
Unsure of why it's less of a value compared to the other samples. Starvation? Extremely lower CO2 levels from previous samples. About average O2 levels.
Sample continues to cycle as of 10/2/21.
_Calum
---
Hall of Kings-to-Library Pathway Samples 1 through 5: Collected 10/1/21 by Calum Traveler:
Samples show no signs of lake algae present. Sample 3 contaminated by glowstone. Brightness Level of 0, no cycling noticed. Average O2 and CO2 levels amongst samples. Sharp presence of heavy metal elements in sample 4, would not recommend drinking this water at all.
Looks like it's just water with some fancy reflections due to its depth. Sorry, Iwonk.
_Calum
---
Ferry Terminal Docks- Dalek Location Samples 1 through 5: Collected 10/6/21 by Calum Traveler:

Several pristine samples collected. Each varying levels of brightness. Ranging between brightness levels of 1-3.
Over observation period, cycling was consistent with eachother- brightest peaks for each sample hitting at the same point in the D'ni 25 hour/Surface 30 hour cycle.
Further test analysis of the five samples shows a varying amount of O2 and CO2 levels within each sample. Uncertain of whether there's a correlating pattern yet. Will require further sample collection.
Further testing detected trace amounts of heavy metal elements within the dimmer samples.
_Calum
---
Ferry Terminal Docks- Dalek Location Samples 6 through 10: Collected 10/6/21 by Calum Traveler:

Several pristine samples collected. Each varying levels of brightness. Ranging between brightness levels of 1-3.
Over observation period, cycling was consistent with eachother- brightest peaks for each sample hitting at the same point in the D'ni 25 hour/Surface 30 hour cycle.
Further test analysis of the five samples shows a similar pattern of O2, CO2, and Metal element presence as to the previous tests, makes sense as they were collected on the same day.

Will need to revisit another day.
_Calum
---
Ferry Terminal Docks- Dalek Location Samples 1 through 5: Collected 10/7/21 by Calum Traveler:
Similar results to yesterday, Light level of 1-2 across samples. Over observation period, cycling was consistent with standard cycle pattern. Varried levels of O2, CO2, Metal presence. No clear pattern yet.
_Calum
---
Ferry Terminal Docks- Dalek Location Samples 1 through 5: Collected 10/8/21 by Calum Traveler:
Similar results to 10/6/21 sample batches, Light level of 1-3 across samples. Over observation period, cycling was consistent with standard cycle pattern. Varried levels of O2, CO2, Metal presence. No clear pattern yet.
_Calum
---
Ferry Terminal Docks- Dalek Location Samples 1 through 5: Collected 10/13/21 by Calum Traveler:
Light Levels of 3 steady across all samples, bar sample 5, which was at light level 1. Cycling was consistent with standard cycle pattern. More consistent O2 and CO2 levels across the samples.
_Calum
---
Ferry Terminal Docks- Dalek Location Samples 1 through 5: Collected 10/15/21 by Calum Traveler:
Light Levels of 2 across all samples, bar sample 2, which was at light level 3. Cycling was consistent with standard cycle pattern. Consistent O2 and CO2 levels, but lower than 10/13 samples.
_Calum
---
Ferry Terminal Docks- Dalek Location Samples 1 through 5: Collected 10/16/21 by Calum Traveler:
Light Levels of 1 across all samples, bar sample 3, which was at light level 2...
Cycling was consistent with standard cycle patterns, consistent o2 and co2 levels, but lower than previous samples. Time of day factor?
_Calum
---
Ferry Terminal Docks- Dalek Location Samples 1 through 5: Collected 10/17/21 by Calum Traveler:
Light Levels of 2 across all samples, bar sample 1, which was at light level 1, and no, that's not a joke...
Cycling was consistent with standard cycle patterns, consistent o2 and co2 levels, but slightly higher than previous sample set. Levels match 10/15/21 samples. Time of day collection later than previous sample set, too. Something on a timed mechanism somewhere?
_Calum
---
Ferry Terminal Docks- Dalek Location Samples 1 through 5: Collected 10/22/21 by Calum Traveler:
Light levels of 3 across all samples. Cycling consistent with standard cycle patterns. Consistent O2 and Co2 levels, consistent with previous Light Level 3 samples.
Given recent events involving Wayne T., need to get some folks looking into the mechanics out there.
_Calum
---
Ferry Terminal Docks- Dalek Location Samples 1 through 5: Collected 10/25/21 by Calum Traveler:
Light levels of 3 across all samples. Cycling consistent with standard cycle patterns. Consistent O2 and CO2 levels, consistent with previous Level 3 samples.

Set up some equipment at the docks to try and automate this a bit, atleast until the lake light meter gets restored.
_Calum
---
Ferry Terminal Docks- Dalek Location Samples 1-5. Collected 11/2/21 by Calum Traveler.
My sample Device broke down. Back to manually sampling.
Light levels are consistent at 3 across samples. Standard sampling pattern. Consistent O2 and CO2 with previous samples.
Last edited by Traveler263 on Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Traveler's Cavern Log-
Kelsei A. Taylor

Post by Kelsei A. Taylor »

Good to see a summary of everything, Calum. It helps me get a grip on what I've missed while busy with surface work. :D
Kelsei A.T. KI# 10581205
---
Exotic Language Translator/Decoder.
Jules Lavisham

Post by Jules Lavisham »

Solid recap of a very eventful week, Cal. Was something of a relief seeing Wayne alive and well again, and bearing some very exciting news.

I've spoken to Ty and the others and we should hopefully have the Kirel auditorium message updated with a few words on these findings by the time we're looking to go live with it. This kind of news deserves the widest exposure we can give it.
Prof. Jules Lavisham, Lecturer in Classical Civilisations
KI# 09687370 - Twitter
Kelsei A. Taylor

Jules Lavisham wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 3:56 pm Solid recap of a very eventful week, Cal. Was something of a relief seeing Wayne alive and well again, and bearing some very exciting news.

I've spoken to Ty and the others and we should hopefully have the Kirel auditorium message updated with a few words on these findings by the time we're looking to go live with it. This kind of news deserves the widest exposure we can give it.
Yes, I'm glad he's alive and well. It was quite concerning, hearing about that book.

Agreed, like In was saying in the Pub the other day, Jules, I think it's a marvelous idea to spread the word. Shame the Hood message function seems to be outputting gibberish, though.
Kelsei A.T. KI# 10581205
---
Keith Lord
Site Admin

Post by Keith Lord »

Admittedly it has been some time since I last looked over the lake water research we were carrying out. We had looked into burst feeding the algae but whilst the short term results were promising the long term effects were detrimental.

I had sought to continue the research with Sul, having Written the Age with certain elements in place to support such experiments alas, whilst the water within the Age contains similar algae the two are not compatible for successful rejuvenation, not unless we want the lake glowing green instead of orange.

I'll see if I can dig out some of the research notes for you guys, not sure if it'll be of any worth.
Patrick Dulebohn

Post by Patrick Dulebohn »

It would seem you've all been busy while I've been (somewhat) away! Glad to hear things are back on track after a bit of excitement (also very relieved Wayne is OK!). Here's hoping the lake algae is finally healing and flourishing. I think all would agree we could at least use more light to work with down there. :D

Sorry I haven't been front and center as of late to help with this. As you know, my own team and I have been working diligently to get the Great Shaft rechecked and eventually opened up. I'll have a much more detailed report on that later in another thread.

Thanks again to Keith for hosting this forum, ie a more centralized place for us to have properly recorded discussions about the restoration!
KI #: 9653140 #ANewEraInDni
Traveler263

Post by Traveler263 »

Kelsei A. Taylor wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 3:37 pm Good to see a summary of everything, Calum. It helps me get a grip on what I've missed while busy with surface work. :D
Glad it helped, Kels. :)
Jules Lavisham wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 3:56 pm Solid recap of a very eventful week, Cal. Was something of a relief seeing Wayne alive and well again, and bearing some very exciting news.

Thanks, Jules. Yeah, it was a relief to see he was well.

Good to hear there's an update to the Kirel message going in before it goes 'live', heh.
Keith Lord wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 5:47 pm Admittedly it has been some time since I last looked over the lake water research we were carrying out. We had looked into burst feeding the algae but whilst the short term results were promising the long term effects were detrimental.

I had sought to continue the research with Sul, having Written the Age with certain elements in place to support such experiments alas, whilst the water within the Age contains similar algae the two are not compatible for successful rejuvenation, not unless we want the lake glowing green instead of orange.

I'll see if I can dig out some of the research notes for you guys, not sure if it'll be of any worth.
Yeah, from the initial survey work I've been getting back on this place Wayne found, burst feeding seems to be exactly the kind of thing it's protecting against.

I was joking when I named the thread "in the *lime* light" to be quite honest, I didn't expect it to be possible that there was green glowing algae instead of orange. 0-o;

It might be useful, but we'll have to see how comparable any of it is.

Also, echoing Patrick's thanks for the forums. It's nice to be able to compose a long reply post like this again :)
Patrick Dulebohn wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 5:56 pm It would seem you've all been busy while I've been (somewhat) away! Glad to hear things are back on track after a bit of excitement (also very relieved Wayne is OK!). Here's hoping the lake algae is finally healing and flourishing. I think all would agree we could at least use more light to work with down there. :D

Sorry I haven't been front and center as of late to help with this. As you know, my own team and I have been working diligently to get the Great Shaft rechecked and eventually opened up. I'll have a much more detailed report on that later in another thread.

Thanks again to Keith for hosting this forum, ie a more centralized place for us to have properly recorded discussions about the restoration!
It always seems like the most interesting stuff happens while everyone's distracted with something somewhere somewhen, doesn't it?

I'd imagine it's been long enough the Algae populations have finally recovered enough to reach critical lighting levels. The poison gas/plague released during the Fall must have done a real number in on the poor plants.

Looking forwards to that Descent Thread.
Kelsei A. Taylor wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 5:20 pm Shame the Hood message function seems to be outputting gibberish, though.
A topic for another thread, but I've taken a few looks over those mechanisms over the years, and I think those Hood Podiums are playing some message that the DRC never purged even before the Great Scream. Who knows what's going on with those danged things, though, it's a bit beyond my expertise at the moment.
-Traveler's Cavern Log-
Traveler263

Post by Traveler263 »

Sorry for the double post. Seems my hand made auto-sampler device broke down. It's back to manual sampling of the lake now, I think.

Updated my notes post with an additional entry for today.
-Traveler's Cavern Log-
Kelsei A. Taylor

I was taking a brief stroll around the cavern tonight, and visited K'veer for a little bit. I think this view of the lake says it all, really. :D

I'm not quite sure how it compares with the view normally, I'm not too familiar with K'veer's specific view, but it's definitely something that caught me off guard by how warm of a light it felt to be.
Kelsei A.T. KI# 10581205
---